Wakefield Wines has completed a life-cycle analysis of its Eighty Acres wines, resulting in a rating that the wines are carbon neutral based on an ISO 14044 compliant Life Cycle Assessment Model.
The Australian winery considered the wines’ lifecycle, from harvesting of grapes to recycling of wine packaging, and was audited by RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia, according to a press release.
The Eighty Acres wine is sold in a bottle that uses 40 percent less glass, reducing the shipping weight and the carbon footprint of actually making the bottles. Emissions in making the bottle are 15 percent lower than standard bottles.
Also, Wakefield Wines purchased carbon offsets through Carbon Neutral, an Australia carbon trading company.
The following wines fall under the carbon neutral lifecycle analysis:
- Wakefield Eighty Acres Chardonnay Viognier
- Wakefield Eighty Acres Shiraz Viognier
- Wakefield Eighty Acres Semillon Sauvignon Blanc
- Wakefield Eighty Acres Classic Dry White
- Wakefield Eighty Acres Cabernet Shiraz Merlot